Sunday 15 November 2015

The best exercise to cure and prevent Shin Splints

Unless you're running by the book and have the patience of a saint, every runner has, is or will battle shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome).

Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome is like the asshole ninja of injuries. It creeps up and stabs you when you least expect it and usually at the wrong time; near the peak of your training or race date.

I have suffered through a few instances of shin splints but I have managed to recover and salvage my training and races with one simple yet supremely effective exercise. 

Shin Splint

The exercise is so simple that sometimes, it becomes hard to believe that I did not know of this earlier and that I did not make it a part of my regular strength routine. And just to test its mettle, I have recommended this exercise to several of my disheartened and injured running buddies with the promise that they will be trotting along within 4-10 days if they follow the exercise routine religiously. Guess what happened when they followed the exercise routine? All of them were back on their feet!

I promise you that you will not need a doctor and medical examinations/tests or any fancy exercises or equipment to prevent or cure shin splints.

And this exercise is not limited for runners who are already suffering from shin splints; the exercise can and should be done by every runner because prevention is better than cure. 

There is a simple test to know how tender and weak your shin is: sit on a chair and bring up your shin and press it with two fingers; if it hurts or feels tender then your shin is in trouble and you should start the exercise immediately.

Without further ado, the exercise and the way to perform it are in the link below. If you get healed then thank me in the comments and if you don't then perform the exercise for a few more days and then thank me.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Aman...I tried it too after u told me about it and found it very effective. Its a must include in any runner's strength regime.
    The excercise looks simple but the shin area burns like hell when u do both sets properly as articulated.

    ReplyDelete