Wednesday 4 November 2015

Guilt

I feel guilty for running sometimes. Naah, I'll be honest, many a times!

I feel guilty that I have the money to pay race fees, buy gear, a GPS watch, travel to race venues, when there are some who would have rather prioritized to spend that money on purchasing food and clothes.

I feel the deviance when I consume copious amounts of food when a sedentary person would have sufficed in half of that.

I feel the guilt while driving to a trail or a park which is several miles away from my house when there are many who walk, cycle or take a bus to reach work.

I feel like stopping my run when I see a person in a wheel chair or a person with a physical deformity, who I know for certain, cannot run even if he tries. I try to slow down and avoid eye contact when I pass by them or when our paths converge. Yep, I can't handle that, since it seems so unfair.


It feels horrible to know of a friend who has broken some bone or torn a ligament and has been advised to not indulge in running, while I have the unbridled freedom to frolic around.

It feels unnatural to realise that I deliberately injure myself by running and then use precious time and resources to heal, only to repeat this cycle with no intention of stopping.

Running feels tremendously good but I have guilt when I remember that I am doing this for sheer pleasure and I have the time, in seconds, in minutes, in hours, in days, even years, to pursue something so inconsequential in the long run, when there are some who, by circumstance, would have been forced to use this time to earn their living or some so virtuous, who would have done something great for humanity.

I know that in the end I will not have created something useful or utilitarian by my meaningless jaunts. The pitter patter from my feet just feels good to me and that is all there is. That is the truth! It feels decadent. It feels so empty, yet so necessary for my well being. What would I rather do with my spare time? I try to will a good response, but I can't force a different answer.

Sometimes, I feel guilty that my parents couldn't indulge in running because they were busy in raising me. Would they have liked it as much as I do? Maybe. I believe, my mother certainly would have.

Recently I came across this poem by Jack Gilbert and it unravelled some of my thoughts, which are still not clear but are certainly less muddled.

A Brief For The Defense
Sorrow everywhere. Slaughter everywhere. If babies
are not starving someplace, they are starving
somewhere else. With flies in their nostrils.
But we enjoy our lives because that’s what God wants.
Otherwise the mornings before summer dawn would not
be made so fine. The Bengal tiger would not
be fashioned so miraculously well. The poor women
at the fountain are laughing together between
the suffering they have known and the awfulness
in their future, smiling and laughing while somebody
in the village is very sick. There is laughter
every day in the terrible streets of Calcutta,
and the women laugh in the cages of Bombay.
If we deny our happiness, resist our satisfaction,
we lessen the importance of their deprivation.
We must risk delight. We can do without pleasure,
but not delight. Not enjoyment. We must have
the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless
furnace of this world. To make injustice the only
measure of our attention is to praise the Devil.
If the locomotive of the Lord runs us down,
we should give thanks that the end had magnitude.
We must admit there will be music despite everything.
We stand at the prow again of a small ship
anchored late at night in the tiny port
looking over to the sleeping island: the waterfront
is three shuttered cafés and one naked light burning.
To hear the faint sound of oars in the silence as a rowboat
comes slowly out and then goes back is truly worth
all the years of sorrow that are to come.
                                                                 - Jack Gilbert


The poem seems to be a manifesto for selfishness but the other view is uneasy to digest and makes it difficult to continue with this indulgence.



17 comments:

  1. At least you are thinking marathonman:)
    Count your blessings and feel less guilty!
    Loved reading this..every sentence struck a chord...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying sangeeta. Thanks for appreciating

      Delete
  2. When the fortunes of those more fortunate than me weigh me down, I think of those less fortunate than me.

    And vice versa.

    There will always be someone better off and always someone worse off. It's the way the world is structured.

    Guilt and envy are both only useful if they are triggers for action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not affected by those who are more fortunate than me. Those less fortunate than me, affect me a lot. Action for me is to ruminate less on these thoughts since inequality is something that one has to come to terms with, without allowing it to weigh one down.

      Delete
  3. Hey I have absolutely simliar feelings when I run. A lot of times as I pass by construction workers while running, I think my shoes are more expensive than their monthly income or while having the gels to aid my running, I feel guilty about having them in the first place. But that's life. I also lot of times wonder what must be going through their heads when they see me all geared up while they hardly have decent clothes to wear. But then its not only to do with running, a lot of times I'm unable to enjoy a meal at a fancy restaurant or if I end up shopping to much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The guilt is basically a manifestation of the "I don't deserve it feeling" and the "fear" of being on the other side i.e. what if I was the construction worker.

      Delete
  4. I used to feel guilty about having more than many, including the luxury of running in Rs. 8k running shoe, Rs.5k compression shorts, etc. Not any more. I run and raise funds for charity. In the recent round, I was fortunate to raise Rs. 135k to prevent violence against women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You did the right thing! Makes a lot of sense to me.
      If I was less selfish I'd do the same. Someday when I'm through with running races for a PB, i'll start charity running too; or even now I could start, if I can marry a PB quest with charity. Thanks for this insight.

      Delete
    2. Where is the conflict between running PB and running for charity? Charity occurs before the race, via Internet. May be I missed some point. May I ask what's your PB unless it's asking too personal a question.

      Delete
    3. There isn't any conflict if the intention to help others is present. My PB for a half marathon is 1:31:35

      Delete
  5. Beautiful poem Aman.

    Then run because of that guilt. You have the tools and the opportunities to make that run, so go run. There are many that have the possibility and yet do nothing, that is worthy of guilt, guilt of squandering away something so precious, that will be felt only when it is lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows how non-runners spend their time? I'm not going to reach a conclusion. Maybe they have some other hobby which makes them feel the same guilt.

      Delete
  6. Think of the person who desperately wants to run, but can't. What would he give to have your gift, to have your ability to run? And if he got that chance, would he feel guilty about taking it to the hilt? Are you that person, who has got the chance?

    Thought-provoking and on point. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely thought provoking. What I have understood, after a lot of deliberation, is that ever since I have taken up running as a hobby, I need to do justice to it. I want my hobby to maximise my happiness and for that to happen, I need to fully commit to it.
      Thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. Carolyn is member of our area running group. http://www.focalflame.com/blog-archive/2015/10/12/madison-marathon-profile-carolyn-moore

      Delete
    3. She seems like a wonderful person.

      Delete